Veteran-to-Veteran Volunteer Program
Entrust Hospice would like to enlist your services to assist veterans who are near the end-of-life. All volunteers will be trained to meet end-of-life needs, specific to veterans, in order to improve their quality of life. Veteran volunteers are an important aspect of the Entrust Hospice team as they provide a uniquely tailored practical and emotional support to patients and their families.
This may include
- Educating and assisting patients in receiving veteran benefits.
- Helping revive and discuss memories that may recapture stories they can pass down to their loved ones.
- Raising community awareness by planning events that recognize veterans on important holidays.
- Assisting the Entrust hospice team and the patient’s family members in developing a veteran-specific plan of care.
- Providing companionship and camaraderie to fellow veterans.
- Reading, talking, and or sitting with patients
Build a bond
As part of the volunteer training we may verify veteran status by asking which branch, rank, service dates or combat experience you may have. We will also require volunteers to follow organizational policies and to undergo a routine screening for possible PTSD difficulties. A bond between members of the military is special, in that you can comfortably share and better understand each other’s experiences.
Veteran volunteers can often empathize in ways other hospice team members or family members cannot. If you are a veteran who is interested in providing support for our aging heroes or know of a veteran in need of end-of-life support, please send an email to email@example.com or call our office at (480)-281-3883